A popular way to care for curly hair is the Curly Girl method. It is designed for wavy, curly or frizzy hair. The popularity of the method is not surprising. It is based on the idea of treating curly hair with the greatest respect using specific techniques designed to work with the curl, not against it. An additional advantage for women who suffer from hair loss is that the method avoids aggressive chemicals and thus provides a healthy bunch of curls and removes possible factors of hair loss.
What is the Curly Girl Method?
Curly and frizzy hair is often seen as difficult to manage. For example, they quickly become frizzy hair. And getting a healthy bunch of curls is not easy for everyone. But hair stylist Lorraine Massey has a solution for that in her book Curly Girl: The Handbook. Her method was developed to handle curly hair with care. By avoiding aggressive substances in the hair, minimising damage to the hair cuticle and always keeping the hair sufficiently moisturised, you can achieve a healthy, full head of curls.
At least, that is the idea. Essentially, this method works by allowing your hair to retain its natural moisture by removing all the unnecessary chemicals that build up on the hair shaft. Curly hair is more prone to dryness than straight hair, so that's where the frizz and limp curls come from. By avoiding harsh chemicals and ingredients, your hair can retain all its natural oils and slowly repair itself. Women who follow the Curly Girl Method say that their hair looks and feels completely revamped.
The basic rules of the CG Method:
- Do not wash your hair too often
- Avoid hair products with harmful chemicals such as sulphates, silicones that are not water soluble, parabens, wax, non-natural oils, harmful alcohols and fragrance or perfume
- Do not use a towel, but rather a microfibre towel or cotton t-shirt
- Ignore brushes and combs
- Stay away from heat and grooming devices such as hair dryers, straighteners and curling irons.
- Don't dye your hair or avoid aggressive hair dyes
- Moisturise your hair
Does the Curly Girl Method work against hair loss?
The Curly Girl Method is not a hair growth remedy for women. But the way it treats curly hair has similarities to the advice we give here at Hair Growth Specialist. This is to avoid harmful substances and heat plus the importance of good hydration and care.
In our range, we have several products specifically designed for curls. For example, we have René Furterer's Sublime Curl line. This line perfectly matches the Curly Girl Method and the hair care products contain no sulphates and silicones. The line consists of a curl-enhancing shampoo and cream for daily use that smooth, protect and beautifully redefine your curls.
René Furterer Sublime Curl curl enhancing shampoo
- Sale price
- Regular price
The silicone- and sulfate-free frequent use shampoo Sublime Curl is designed for curly and wavy hair, softens hair and restores beautiful shape to curls.
- The deliciously freshly perfumed pearlescent texture deeply nourishes the hair fiber, redefines curls and makes them move beautifully smoothly again.
- The hair becomes light and silky smooth and the curls regain their elasticity and shine.
- Contains 85% ingredients of natural origin.
René Furterer Sublime Curl curl strengthening cream
- Sale price
- Regular price
This instant conditioning cream for wavy and curly hair is applied at the end of the grooming ritual. Thanks to its no-rinse formula, it can also be used for retouching at any time of the day.
- The cream perfectly nourishes and redefines curls and also provides long-lasting moisture protection, keeping frizzy hair under control throughout the day.
- 95% ingredients of natural origin.
- Does not contain silicones.